BeansTALKBiz Blog

BeansTALKBiz is pleased to provide a variety of resources on accounting, bookkeeping taxation, and other related subjects that we hope will be helpful to both individuals and businesses.

If you have any questions, simply contact us by email or call 204-298-1902. We will be happy to meet with you for a free, no-obligation consultation.

What happens if I over contribute to my Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)?

Contributions to an RRSP from January 1, 2017 to the first 60 days of 2017 can be deducted against your 2016 income. You must declare your total contributions. The maximum that is tax deductible is your contribution limit per your notice of assessment. Any unused RRSP contribution in excess of the $2,000 is subject to penalties by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) of 1% per month.

  25 Hits

What are the Advantages & Disadvantages


Separate Legal Entity/ Limited Liability:

Your corporation is a separate legal entity and as such, creditors or legal actions are against the corporation and its assets, not your personal assets. The shareholders of a corporation have a limited liability. Please note shareholders can be legally liable for the corporation's GST/HST and payroll taxes.

Tax Advantages:

If you don't need all the corporation earnings for personal income, you can leave them in the corporation, deferring personal taxes on withdrawals and possibly enjoying a 15.0% preferred tax rate on the first $500,000 of profit in a CCPC.

Your corporation has tax flexibility from which you may personally benefit. If you sell shares in your Canadian-controlled private corporation (CCPC) capital gains will be tax – free up to $813,600.


The administration costs are more expensive with a corporation than with a partnership or a sole proprietorship. Administration costs include incorporation costs, annual financial statements and annual corporate income tax return.

Losses in an incorporated business can't be personally claimed.

  22 Hits

Personal Service Business Rules – How does it impact corporate income taxes for IT Contractors and Independent Consultants?

IT consultants and Independent Consultants working on a contract basis with a corporate business structure should be aware of the personal service business (PSB) rules.

If it was not for the corporation, you would reasonably be considered an employee of the company to which you provide services to. In other words, you are an incorporated employee. This change could have significant implications for your tax obligations. You could lose many of the tax benefits currently available to you.

Impact of Personal Service Business Rules:

The small business deduction is disallowed. All expenses except for salary and benefits would be disallowed. The reassessment would lead to tax penalties. PSB are subjected hefty tax rates.

Canada Revenue Agency uses the following factors in assessing if your corporation is a Personal Service Business (PSB).

Continue reading
  24 Hits

Disability Tax Credit & Diabetes

Are you or your child living with Type 1 Diabetes?  You may qualify for a disability tax credit when you file your taxes.  Check out the Diabetes Advocacy website to learn how to qualify for this tax credit.   If you qualify for prior years we can amend your tax returns to get you tax refunds.  If you think you may qualify please take action right away because Canada Revenue could change the rules to qualify at any time.  There are also other conditions that are eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.  Check out the Canada Revenue website or speak to a team member for more details.

  25 Hits

Using An RRSP as a Tax-Planning Tool

An RRSP is more than simply an account for retirement savings. Yes, it’s a must-have when saving for retirement, but the Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) is an effective tax-planning tool.

Continue reading
  54 Hits

Contact Us

Our Office

7930 95 Ave NW
Edmonton, AB
T6C 4E6

Phone:  780-700-7390
Toll Free:  888-297-7070